Simon,

It's not achieving the encodeBegin method. Error occurs before it.
I think the problem is very releated to what Yee-Wah said:
"After some testing, the problem was due to the RenderingContext being null.
Scriptlet initialization was happening during a static block of the
SimpleInputColorRenderer, not during the render phase, which explains why
the RenderingContext is null. This doesn't  appear to be a problem for
Trinidad because the
Trinidad renderkit implements deferred loading of renderers. In Ian's case,
he is extending a renderer and adding it to the Faces renderkit. I will
submit an addition to the patch to allow for extended renderers
not being in the Trinidad renderkit."
But I don't know how to solve that.

Thanks,
Rogerio.