I think using a custom skin would be more robust.  I wonder if
defining a skin extension with the following definition would be
sufficient:

af|inputText:error::content {
  background-color: red;
}

This definition means that the the background-color applies to the
internal psuedo-element named "content" of the the inputText component
when the inputText is in an "error" state.

(I have not tested this myself.)

Regards,
Matt