When using a table/column/inputText combination, for example, how are people
getting the inputText's label and required indicator into the column heading?

I understand I can just place the expression for the label into the column's
headerText attribute, but I won't get the required indicator, so I wondered if
there was some other way to make this happen magically.

Also, generally speaking am I correct in thinking that required and
showRequired are not connected in any way? I saw some chatter about this, but
as far as I can tell, even if a field is required, the indicator will not be
shown unless showRequired is true (barring any special circumstances covered in
another post using nested tables and such), correct?