On an almost-off-topic subject: I've always found Hibernate's maxResult
facility to be quite useless. It limits the number of *SQL ROWS*
returned, not the number of *objects*. Therefore when table joins are
involved (and they often are) then the actual number of *objects* that
will be returned can be significantly different from the maxResult
setting.

Have other people had this problem, and if so is there a known solution?

Cheers,
Simon