On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Leon Dorfling<le...@pepkorit.com> wrote:
> We are developing our first Java project using Trinidad.
>

> We are trying to resolve, a seemingly simple problem we have encountered,
> but due to our lack of experience have not found the optimal solution.
>

> Our problem is, 2 users are viewing the same data. User1 deletes a record
> from the database. The deleted record has not yet been deleted from user2’s
> page. Subsequentley user2 tries to update the record deleted by user1. User2
> clicks on the record (deleted by user1) and navigates to a page to update
> the record. The update page is rendered with data for the row after the
> deleted row in the table.
>

> How do I ensure that if user2 tries to update a deleted record, he is either
> warned that the records no longer exists or the data is refreshed before he
> invokes an update process.

you need to implement a smarter solution here by your self. EG using
unique IDs, so that one could not load a deleted object by a (wrong)
ID.

Another would be to implement something like optimistic locking, see here:
http://api.rubyonrails.org/classes/ActiveRecord/Locking/Optimistic.html
(no, there is no need to use ActiveRecord for that. Can be done with
anything you are
using in the back-end).

But basically your application (design) has to take care of this.

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

twitter: http://twitter.com/mwessendorf