My opinion (anybody - please correct me I'm wrong)
You got Nullpointer exception -

It means that RESTORE_VIEW phase is not executed and FacesContext is not
injected to UIComponents as the view with name /mysite or whatever doesnt
exist.

If you want to use that kind of logic (bookmarks) - try for example
prettyfaces library.