Hi Madhav,

the livecycle did not depend on messages in the context. To prevent
executing actions and direct skip to renderPhase you need to call

FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().renderResponse();

e.g. in your putMessage() method.

Regards,
    Volker

2010/1/20 Madhav Bhargava <madhav_bharg...@infosys.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am using myfaces 1.1, icefaces 1.8.1 on WAS 6.0
>
> The controller (backing bean) action methods handle RuntimeException from the
> service layer. Depending on the exception an exception handler will put an
> appropriate message into FacesContext.
> For that I have created a utility method:
>
> public static void putMessage(String key, Severity severity,
>                                String summary, String detail) {
>                FacesContext.getCurrentInstance().addMessage(key,
>                                                new FacesMessage(severity,
> summary, detail));
> }
>
> In the controller this method is used to put messages. When the page is
> displayed the messages appear properly. However when a user clicks on a
> commandButton then the control goes to the action method bound to the
> commandButton. This should not happen because there are FacesMessages with
> FacesMessage.SEVERITY_ERROR. I checked immediate="true" has not been set on
> the commandButton component.
>
> Is my understanding not correct that if there are FacesMessages with Severity
> = SEVERITY_ERROR in the FacesContext then the invoke application phase will
> not happen and the control would come back to the current page in error?
>
> Regards,
> Madhav

> notify the sender by e-mail and delete the original message. Further, you are
> not
> to copy, disclose, or distribute this e-mail or its contents to any other
> person and
> any such actions are unlawful. This e-mail may contain viruses. Infosys has
> taken
> every reasonable precaution to minimize this risk, but is not liable for any
> damage
> you may sustain as a result of any virus in this e-mail. You should carry out
> your
> right to monitor and review the content of all messages sent to or from this
> e-mail
> Infosys e-mail system.

inexso - information exchange solutions GmbH
Bismarckstraße 13      | 26122 Oldenburg
Tel.: +49 441 4082 356 |
FAX:  +49 441 4082 355 | www.inexso.de