Hi this is really interesting, from what I noticed in my testing is that you can run into this situation if you ajax a call down without sending a proper view identifier without intercepting it before restoreView. RestoreView obviously must fail then. I have to check what primefaces is sending down but my assumption goes into that direction.

What I also noticed is that Mojarra is somewhat more tolerant regarding those situations, because I had a testing case up and running which rightfully ran out of views in its state history on MyFaces and did not in mojarra, the main reason there was that mojarra was restoring the last view on and on in that situation no matter if the viewstate was sent down or not because none of the inputs sent down had changed and the source did not change as well. You ran into the issue in mojarra if you sent down constantly changing values on your inputs as well.

It might be a similar issue here, but to really tell that I have to check the protocol. But I am pretty sure this is the cause of the situation you run into here.

Werner