Von: Jan-Kees van Andel [mailto:jankeesvanan...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 27. September 2010 21:55
An: MyFaces Discussion
Betreff: Re: Bean Validation (JSR 303)

Yeah, but there is more. First, did you package the myfaces jars in the
application or in a shared library or something? And the same question for
the validation api and impl jars

And this Class.forName check is not the complete check. After Class.forName,
we completely initialize the bean validation framework, using the default
factory. If this fails, I decided to disable bean validation. But in this
case, you should see more logging. For example the error message, explaining
why the beanval initialization failed.

You can set the logger for "javax.faces.validator" to "fine" to see the
error message, if any. Otherwise, putting a breakpoint in the
javax.faces.validator.BeanValidator.createValidatorFactory() method and
stepping into _ExternalSpecifications.isBeanValidationAvailable() would also
be a very good first step.

@Committers: I decided to log it as fine a year ago, because I can't decide
whether or not the exception is important. I didn't want to irritate and
scare developers when there is no issue. But we might be better off logging
it as info, for cases like this one. Or maybe a second catch clause for
specific bean validation exceptions that logs its messages as info. But then
again, not every exception thrown by the buildDefaultValidatorFactory has to
be that type. For example, NoClassDefFoundErrors could also occur. What do
you think?

Regards,
Jan-Kees