After googling another 2 hours I found the solution: Since tomcat 6.0.16 we
have to add the org.apache.el.parser.COERCE_TO_ZERO=false VM argument.
@Strub: Did you have set this VM argument too?

For more infos:
http://balusc.blogspot.com/2008/07/dao-tutorial-use-in-jsf.html#EmptyToNullConverter
EmptyToNullConverter