The Trinidad example IS an empty project, or rather it's a pom
project.  It's used as the base project for the demos.

Now for your websphere issue.  Does your version of websphere support
JSF 2.0?  I know there is plans to release a websphere that does, but
to my knowledge it hasn't been distributed yet.