hi robert,

a dvcs (distributed version control system) like mercurial works a bit
different.

clone it - e.g.:
hg clone https://hg.codespot.com/a/apache-extras.org/myfaces-codi-examples/

and now you have the whole repository and you can switch to the branch - in
this case via:
hg update glassfish31

if you are interested in some details, [1] and esp. [2] provide a quite nice
explanation.

thank you for the question - we will add a hint to the wiki.

regards,
gerhard

[1] http://hginit.com/top/
[2] http://hginit.com/top/00.html