Just for making this clear: we do _not_ suggest to use a plain <a href...>!
Please use <h:outputLink> instead (since JSF-2>.
This will render a <a href> for you but will also manage all the view params if
you like, etc. You can also add <f:param> children to pass parameters without
having to do some string juggling.

LieGrue,
strub