oh and in addition to the inconsistency between the 2 example strings, I
just checked, to the best of my knowledge #{msg.foo} is a short cut for
outputText tag,

The outputText tag, according to the jsf javadocs, says it is "true" by
default.

So, if that's true, shouldn't " be escaped to " by default? or are "
special for some reason?

--
Ted.