Catherine,

If the table has partialTriggers pointing to the command button, it should work just fine. I would check two things: 1) is your partial trigger Id set correctly, i.e do you need to do something like stepping out of the naming container, etc.?; 2) do you see table's HTML included in partial response when you use HTTP sniffing tools like Firebug?

Max