Yes, the behavior is considered normal, because a comment is just a
piece of literal text in the generated html.   Html Comments have no
special meaning to JSF.

As Thomas stated, you can use skip_comments to remove all comments
from your generated html.

You can also use <ui:remove></ui:remove> tags to mark a section of the
page as removed.