Hi Thomas!

Well, we had this problem as well in a Quartz scheduler Extension. And this did
lead to the CdiControl approach implemented in OpenWebBeans Test and now moved
to DeltaSpike cdise [1]. Please note that this is not yet finished, but will be
soon!

The functionality is currently in one API but will be split into two interfaces.

The first one provides the control to container-independently start and stop
the whole container (OWB or Weld) which can be used to boot CDI in a JavaSE
environment without having any implementation specific code in your project.

The second part (I still need to factor this out) will give you the ability to
start and stop contexts in respect to the current thread.
This will again be container independent and hides all the complexity from the
user.

I hope to be able to finish this work on the weekend (I'm currently pretty busy
at $$dayjob in a C project)

LieGrue,
strub

[1]
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-deltaspike.git;a=blob;f=deltaspike/cdise/api/src/main/java/org/apache/deltaspike/cdise/api/CdiContainer.java;h=dc8be0b87f4d350ce0539eec2a43590eeb13e88b;hb=HEAD