I would say it's intended behavior.   In a production system,
configuration files do not get reloaded.

However, I suspect you're now in the realm of non-specified JSF
design.   The way that the Runtime configuration works is specific to
the MyFaces implementation.

The portable solution is to write a NavigationHandler rather than to
try to populate the navigation case rules.