If this should be addressed elsewhere, please let me know.

***

I have a three file app that I downloaded from PlanetSourceCode (from the complete-application-list, ChartGen, a java app that makes simple bar charts). I want to play with them in NetBeans. I can load and open and edit them.

Classes in file A are flagged as "can't find symbol" in file B, and so on.

The readme with these files says to compile them in a certain order (ChartColorScheme.java, Chart.java, TestChart.java). The compile tool is grayed out.

I think I need to create a project. Actually I did (Java|Java Application - no main class since one is in the 'compile last and run'  file, per the readme). But it hasn't helped. The files don't show in the projects or files pane, and I can't find a way to add files to project.

I've poked around in the help files, but I guess I'm not using the right magic incantation.

Where do I look for help with this?

LB

PS

I just tried an experiment - debugging the project.

It says 'no main class is set'.

There is a main class, in the file (TestChart.java) that readme says to run.

    public static void main(String[] args)
    {
    TestIt test = new TestIt();
    }

(Class TestIt() follows in the same file.)

The 'debug file' tool is grayed out.

***

I created a new project, adding a main class this time. Adjusted it to match the one already there. Now I get a 'runtime exception', so no help.