After much head-scratching, searching and attempts at implementing my own UpdateProvider, I eventually came across org.netbeans.api.autoupdate.UpdateUnitProviderFactory class which does the necessary work to subscribe to a new update centre, the URL of which can be parameterized as I need.

On 2018/08/28 16:57:14, Mark Phipps <m...@sucfin.com> wrote:
> Hi all,>
>
> I am building a multi-branded nb platform application with maven and I >
> want to parameterize the location of my auto update site, but I cannot >
> find a way to get the check-for-updates mechanism to work, unless I have > > the autoupdate url hard coded in the branding module's layer.xml file as >
> below:>
>
>  <folder name="Services">>
>         <folder name="AutoupdateType">>
>             <file name="update_center.instance">>
>                 <attr name="displayName" stringvalue="Update Center"/>>
>                 <attr name="enabled" boolvalue="true"/>>
>                 <attr name="instanceCreate" >
> methodvalue="org.netbeans.modules.autoupdate.updateprovider.AutoupdateCatalogFactory.createUpdateProvider"/>>
>                 <attr name="instanceOf" >
> stringvalue="org.netbeans.spi.autoupdate.UpdateProvider"/>>
> *               <attr name="url" >
> urlvalue="http://starinternal/twinkledev/updates.xml"/>*>
>             </file>>
>         </folder>>
>     </folder>>
>
> Is there another way of setting this attribute? I have tried different >
> combinations of nbm maven plugin parameters like distributionUrl and >
> distBase, but once the application is installed and running, it won't >
> do the check-for-updates unless it was built originally with the url >
> specified in the layer.xml.>
>
> Any help much appreciated.>
>
> Thanks>
>
> Mark>
>

> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/sucden-financial-limited>>
>
> www.sucdenfinancial.com>
>
> Sucden Financial Limited, Plantation Place South, 60 Great Tower Street, London EC3R 5AZ>
> Telephone +44 203 207 5000>
>
> Registered in England no. 1095841>
> VAT registration no. GB 446 9061 33>
>
> Authorised and Regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and entered in the FCA register under no. 114239>
>
> This email, including any files transmitted with it, is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied and used only by the intended recipient. > > If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please notify postmas...@sucfin.com immediately and delete it from your computer system.>
>
> We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and its attachments are virus-free, but you should check.>
>
> Sucden Financial Limited may monitor traffic data of both business and personal emails. By replying to this email, you consent to Sucden Financial 's monitoring > > the content of any emails you send to or receive from Sucden Financial . Sucden Financial is not liable for any opinions expressed by the sender where this is a >
> non-business email.>

> [...]

*Mark Phipps |***Front Office Development Manager
*Sucden Financial Limited |*Plantation Place South***|***60 Great Tower Street***| *London EC3R 5AZ

*Telephone (DDI): *+44 (0)20 3207 5140* | Switchboard:***+44 (0)20 3207 5000
*Email: *mark.phi...@sucfin.com <mailto:mark.phi...@sucfin.com> | *Website:* www.sucdenfinancial.com <http://www.sucdenfinancial.com>

Twitter <https://twitter.com/SucdenFinancial>| LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/sucden-financial-limited>