I'd recommend using Apache NetBeans 10, of which there already is a voting
candidate to try out, rather than Apache NetBeans 9.

See the voting candidate for Apache NetBeans 10, which should be perfect to
try out as the basis of your NetBeans Platform software:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/10vc1

If you have features or enhancements for the NetBeans Platform, please
provide pull requests here:

https://github.com/apache/incubator-netbeans/pulls

Gj