Hi, this is usual behaviour (called "Features on demand", implemented by ide.ergonomics): To reduce startup time, features are activated only when used. While You can e.g. create a Java SE project when the feature is deactivated, creating the first one will activate Java SE (activating all necessary modules).

So, if You delete Your settings, the ergonomics module does not find its preferences any more and is effectively reset, and You have to re-activate features.

Kind regards
Peter