I’m copying both the users and dev lists because  1) I tried a similar question
on the users list where I think this belongs and got no response, 2) something
is wrong and there should be a discussion with  devs.

Netbeans does not seem to have any place to add modules for non-modular
applications.

(I assert that most significantly complex applications cannot be modularized at
this point because sooner or later the dependency chain will hit a
non-modularized library.)

For example the java.logging module is part of the JDK but needs to be added as
a dependency using "--add-module java.logging”.

I can make the changes to my Gradle build script to have these options set, but
NetBeans remains ignorant of the added modules and thus highlights the code as
if it contains errors.  Everything builds fine though.  I can’t find any place
in NetBeans to add this information.  I even tried editing the
etc/netbeans.conf file to add a -J--add-modules=ALL-SYSTEM to the default
options, but that didn’t seem to have any effect on whatever code is
determining where all those red squiggles go.

Thinking maybe this was just a Gradle integration issue, I tried an Ant-based
project (which is not an option for my real work).  There I noticed different
behaviour.  I was able to import java.util.logging.* without it showing as an
error, but curiously the auto-complete would not suggest that there was such a
package called ‘logging’ after typing java.util.  Though once I typed it
manually, suggestions for classes in the java.util.logging package were made.

It seems there are still a lot of rough edges regarding the module system. I
didn’t find anything in JIRA, but I can’t imagine that this isn’t a known
issue.  What am I missing?

Regards,

Scott