Mr. Wielenga --

> Personally though I don’t get why a developer, even a complete newbie,
> can’t unzip a zip file and create a shortcut. That said, yes, installer is
> in the works.

  I actually might be able to respond to your thoughts, and I am far from a
complete newbie.  I have been programming both as a hobby and in my profession
(teacher and now professor) of statistics.  When I began teaching statistics in
1976 there was no such thing as statistical software for me to use in my
classes.  Through those years of Basic, of C++, and now Java, I have been
writing statistics programs to support my teaching.  When I accidentally read
about the Java FX and its capabilities I began a project that I now have been
working on for 5 years or so.  The easy installation of Java and Netbeans was
wonderful for me -- my old Linux and DOS skills were severely atrophied!

  Now, I see Netbeans moving to Apache, FX separated from Java, a "new" (since
Java 8) module orientation (?) that I need to learn about, and -- to my
frustration -- no installation wizard.

  My lifeline to productivity in my day job, and I am involved with continuing
projects which require an online presence; thus I approach with trepidation any
task which would require my traveling back down to the system level.  If I were
to in some way err and create problems with my system, I cannot easily or
quickly recover.

  The directions (E.g. YouTube) I have seen online concerning installation (and
presumably updating) of OpenJDK, FX, and Apache Netbeans are (a) not in
complete agreement, and (b) do not seem to stop at simply unzipping a zip file
and creating a shortcut.  Having said that, I must tip a hat to those who have
offered up the directions; they are very clear and very helpful!!  And the
discussion here since my very recent joining have been very illuminating and
valuable.

  But my forte is mathematics and statistics, not my C: drive.  I suspect my
situation is somewhat unique, but it is at least an existence proof (as we say
in mathematics) that an installation wizard is a wonderful thing to have
available.

  Apologies for the length -- thank you and the rest of the Community for all
the given and future help.

  -- Chris Olsen
     Grinnell College

No JDK will be included and no JRE, since these are GPL licensed.

Personally though I don’t get why a developer, even a complete newbie,
can’t unzip a zip file and create a shortcut. That said, yes, installer is
in the works.

Gj