You can tell NetBeans to skip the tests on particular actions just to see
it build/compile cleanly.

Project -> Properties -> Actions -> Clean and Build project (for example)
then use the Add button to add Skip Tests.

Ultimately you'll want some tests and to resolve what's broken but my main
point is that NB plays nicely with maven out of the box.

--
Carl J. Mosca