Last week, Geertjan Wielenga helped me resolve a NetBeans 8.2 problem I was
having with the Kotlin plugin on my MacBook Air.

Then he suggested I upgrade to NetBeans 11.1. I downloaded the ZIP file and
expanded it. In the bin folder, there are three executable files, though
two of them are for Windows.

When I click on the first file, identified as a "Unix executable," I get

*“netbeans” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.*

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the App
Store and identified developers.

Opera downloaded this file on September 19, 2019 from *mirror.olnevhost.net
<http://mirror.olnevhost.net>*.

The OS is Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6. I can certainly go into System Preferences
and tell it to open NetBeans 11.1 anyway. I could also relax the security
preferences. But maybe some caution is warranted, and I don't recall having
to do this with NetBeans 8.2 earlier this year (or maybe I did but I don't
remember now).

Geertjan says there's no need to change or override any security settings.
Did I take a wrong turn somewhere?

Al

--
Alonso del Arte