I have been using hsql in a number of projects and recently had a need to use hsql in a Tomcat application.  It seems to conflict with a built-in hsql located in the embedded version of Tomcat's /bin folder.

Apparently, when I reference org.hsqldb.server.Server in my application's Java code it finds the embedded hsqldb.jar in the server's lib folder.

The same version of Tomcat downloaded and installed separately has no hsql folder in bin.  When I use that version, there is no conflict.

What is the purpose of having hsql in the version of Tomcat that is installed with NetBeans 11.1 ?

don