This is a fork of the "How to bypass a local certificate problem" thread
response and a possible bug report.

Could we show a note here to illustrate the minimum jdk requirements for
the current NetBeans release?  I know NetBeans 11.2 targets jdk13.
https://netbeans.apache.org/download/nb112/index.html#_notes

On Thu, Nov 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM Neil C Smith <neilcsm...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Nov 2019 at 16:04, Leo Donahue <donahu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  I did have to switch Look & Feel to Nimbus because the GTK+ has the
> "Project, Files and Services tabs" all chopped off except the very tops.
>
> That one is curious.  Have you opened a bug for it?  No problem with
> GTK+ here on Ubuntu 18.04 with AdoptOpenJDK 11.  Be good to figure out
> what breaks it.  Are you using Debian packaged OpenJDK, because if
> it's anything like the Ubuntu downstream it's a bit of a mess!
>
> I may have grabbed the wrong <ctrl-c> from too many vm windows being
opened when I quoted my jdk version.

leo@debvmw01:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release: 9.11
Codename: stretch
leo@debvmw01:~$ uname -mrs
Linux 4.9.0-11-amd64 x86_64
leo@debvmw01:~$

For Linux users:
Depending on your version (like Debian Stretch) and your
/etc/apt/sources.list, if you take the defaults for stretch main, your
default jdk will be 1.8 (Buster defaults to jdk11)

I let Stretch have the default openjdk 1.8 and I download other jdks into
/opt/jdk and then configure alternatives.

I have an old 11.0.1 openjdk installed in /opt/jdk that you can get from
here:
https://jdk.java.net/archive/  (it was new at the time)

leo@debvmw01:~$ java -version
openjdk version "11.0.1" 2018-10-16
OpenJDK Runtime Environment 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM 18.9 (build 11.0.1+13, mixed mode)
leo@debvmw01:~$ sudo update-alternatives --config javac
[sudo] password for leo:
There are 3 choices for the alternative javac (providing /usr/bin/javac).

  Selection    Path                                         Priority
Status
  0            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac   1081      auto
mode
* 1            /opt/jdk/jdk-11.0.1/bin/javac                 100
manual mode
  2            /opt/jdk/jdk1.8.0_191/bin/javac               100
manual mode
  3            /usr/lib/jvm/java-8-openjdk-amd64/bin/javac   1081
 manual mode

Press <enter> to keep the current choice[*], or type selection number: ^C
leo@debvmw01:~$

Currently no 11.2 directory in: /home/leo/.netbeans

When I launch NetBeans 11.2 from the bin directory: sh netbeans

The terminal window displays:
leo@debvmw01:~/applications/netbeans-11.2-bin/netbeans/bin$ sh netbeans
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"
WARNING: An illegal reflective access operation has occurred
WARNING: Illegal reflective access by
org.netbeans.swing.plaf.gtk.ThemeValue
(jar:file:/home/leo/applications/netbeans-11.2-bin/netbeans/platform/modules/org-netbeans-swing-plaf.jar!/)
to method
javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthStyle.getColorForState(javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthContext,javax.swing.plaf.synth.ColorType)
WARNING: Please consider reporting this to the maintainers of
org.netbeans.swing.plaf.gtk.ThemeValue
WARNING: Use --illegal-access=warn to enable warnings of further illegal
reflective access operations
WARNING: All illegal access operations will be denied in a future release

At this point, the "Project | Files | Services" tabs are completely
visible, so I must have forgotten to change my java alternative to jdk 11.

I install the following plugins:

*JavaFX Implementation for Linux* [13.1]
*The nb-javac Java editing support library* [2.0]

Restart NetBeans

I get the same terminal message as before.

However, now I have limited menus and menu items.

[image: image.png]