Alan

I meant open source, typo on my part. I understand the difference between
the old and new setup.

Geertjan

See here

https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Specifically look at the roles section, the user and developer role are
posted below. This is what I meant when I was talking about the differences
between users and developers.

USER¶ <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#users>

A *user* is someone that uses our software. They contribute to the Apache
projects by providing feedback to developers in the form of bug reports and
feature suggestions. Users participate in the Apache community by helping
other users on mailing lists and user support forums.
DEVELOPER <https://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#developers>

A *developer* is a user who contributes to a project in the form of code or
documentation. They take extra steps to participate in a project, are
active on the developer mailing list, participate in discussions, provide
patches, documentation, suggestions, and criticism. Developers are also
known as *contributors*