It looks like the issue has been fixed in Windows!. I've tried both
Netbeans 11.3 & 12.0-beta4 with three different java versions (11.02,
11.04, 14). Each of the six combinations showed the project's Diff to HEAD
empty. The Windows build here is 18363.778.

On a side note: I installed the released version 1.0 of Windows Terminal.
In PowerShell git status is nothing to commit. In WSL/Ubuntu, however, it
shows multiple files as changed. With the same version of Ubuntu in a
Hyper-V VM on this machine git status is nothing to commit. So the issue
has moved from Netbeans to Windows. Oh what fun!

George

--
George W Brooks
Truckee Solutions