Software: NetBeans 11.3, Tomcat 8.8.55.

I have a simple, out of the box Maven web/servlet app that is effectively a
"Hello world" app.

When I set it up to run in a Wildfly or GlassFish server it deploys and runs
fine, with no special configuration other than setting up the "Server" in
NetBeans.

When I set it up to run in Tomcat, the entire deployment (as in when I hit the
Run button) seems to hang. It will start the Tomcat server, but the war file is
never copied anywhere in $CATALINA_HOME. The NetBeans GUI hourglasses, saying
"Waiting for tomcat", despite the Catalina log saying the server started just
fine.

If I manually copy the war file to $CATALINA_HOME/webapps, Tomcat will
automatically deploy the war file with no issues.

Any ideas on how to get this to work?