Hi all,

Netbeans, as of 12, has improved dramatically(refactoring is no longer something I avoid like the plague, mostly) but like with all large projects there is those smaller bugs that users can and do run into. I'd like to share some of them in case there is any existing bug reports I'm not aware of or maybe someone has some things I can try to better reproduce things before I file to JIRA. I plan on doing it soon(TM).

Starting things off is the editor. It seems like it gets stuck waiting to process something, resulting in all sorts of issues:

-If a project is running(JavaFX app, for example) code completion and prompting will sometimes not work until the project has finished running. For example, attempting to autocomplete an import statement "org.foo.<whatever>" will result in no completion prompt.

-Sometimes code will be underlined as if it has an error but it does not. The only way to fix this is by restarting the IDE[1]. Of not is that this used to be absolutely terrible way back in Netbeans 8.2 but since the performance improvements some time ago, it's rarely an issue. Ignore the command line output, it's irrelevant.

-When launching Netbeans 12 and switched to the "FlatLaf Dark" theme, variable names were not shaded purple until Maven finished indexing(or was it scanning also? Not sure). Keywords such as "public", "private" etc are all shaded gold as they should be.

That's all for the editor. The rest are kinda all over the place:

-When using GTK Look and Feel, comboboxes will have difference sizes than one another[1][2]. This is not true for "FlatLaf Dark".

-IDE auto-completion for Java 9 modules "provides <service> with <implementation>" is borked[3].

-When exporting IDE settings, Netbeans does not auto-generate a name for the settings zip[4] nor does it force a user to set one or throw an error if they did.

-JavaFX project generated by Netbeans 12 beta cannot be profiled due to missing runtime dependencies[5]. You can start the project and then attach-to-process just fine.

-There might be a few random refactoring bugs remaining. I remember renaming a class and Netbeans 12 beta(3, I think) decided to randomly not change the name on a few classes in the import statements. Happened awhile ago and I don't think there was an exception this time, sorry. Again, It's way better than it used to be.

Again, if bug reports don't already exist for these or If no one has anything to add I'll start making bug reports soon(TM).

[1] https://imgur.com/a/5mkl16P

[2] https://imgur.com/a/ZIZzlgT

[3] https://imgur.com/a/seN9KKP

[4] https://imgur.com/a/IAh6XnD