I encountered a similar behavior in NB 12.0 in the past. In order to
circumnavigate this behavior, before creating a FXML file, a FX project, or any
FX related activity, I first go to Tool->Options->Java-JavaFx tab, make sure it
is activated and JavaFx SceneBuilder Integration is visibly seen.

    On Tuesday, December 29, 2020, 7:05:20 AM GMT+3:30, Will Hartung