> Although, JDK8 appears before JDK15 in the System's PATH variable

I don't think you should have two JDKs
in the PATH environment variable. It is a but messy.

*ANT picks JDK 15 and compilation fails*. >
It looks like ant build script  is  picking up from PATH.

if you  run  java - version  get jdk 15 then you are probably picking up
jdk 15 from PATH.

Why the project is not picking up JDK
from project.properties.
Don't know I don't use ANT much.

If you are having more than one netbeans IDE on the same machine then
netbeans.conf is provided  so that you can  point to the preferred  jdk for
that IDE.

Z.

https://www.backbutton.co.uk/
¯\_(ツ)_/¯