Hi all,

I'm currently developing a new Java EE Web application (targeting a TomEE 8.x webprofile), and because it's a new development I already want to start it in Java EE 8/JSF 2.3 (but the code completion problems also shows in a Java EE 7/JSF 2.2 setup). I have to admit that I'm fairly new to Java EE development, so please don't shoot me, if my questions are silly ;-)

Problem exists in Netbeans 11.1 and even in a completely fresh installed Netbeans 12.2.

The problem is that when I'm including the omnifaces library, building and deployment works without problems and the Web application is working like it should. But in the IDE the code completion either don't work at all, e.g. on the omnifaces EL functions (namespace http://omnifaces.org/functions) or offers the "wrong" namespace short-name. E.g. omnifaces are considered to be included as "o: " but Netbeans completion always offers "oou: ".

As far as I understand, the *.taglib.xml files give a hint for the short-name to be used, and in META-INF/omnifaces-ui.taglib.xml its clearly declared as:
<short-name>o</short-name>

Is this a bug in Netbeans that it doesn't use this hint? Or is it by purpose and there is a good reason for this behaviour? Interestingly when including Primefaces, it works perfectly as expected and the offered short-name from Netbeans is correctly "p: " and not "pou: ".

Of course this short-name issue is just a little inconvenience during coding and can easily be changed after Netbeans completion has inserted it into the file. But it's a bit annoying to do it in every new Facelet file.

But the total missing of the omnifaces EL function completion is a bigger annoyance, because remembering the exact function name of all the functions, especially the ones which are not used very often, is the job an IDE code completion is for. ;-)

Am I missing something or doing something wrong?

To reproduce this, just create a new "Java with Maven -> Web Application", add omnifaces dependency (3.x for EE8, or 2.x for EE7) and try to add something like <o:form> (the IDE will offer <oou:form>) or #{of:prettyURL} (the IDE will offer nothing at all) into a Facelet file.

thanks and cu
Jens