Greetings,

I've mentioned earlier in one of the Netbeans mailing lists about Netbeans
12.2 freezing. Well, it throws up an annoying series of modal windows each of
which states that we have a java.io.FileNotFoundException with a message
giving me the name of the file with the additional text of "(too many open
files)".

This also vomits out a org.openide.filesystems.FileAlreadyLockedException
exception as well.

When Netbeans freezes up like that, you cannot attach jconsole to that
process.

Since Netbeans was acting up recently (as in I couldn't run for 15 minutes
without such a freeze), I immediately ran jconsole to monitor what was going
on when I launched Netbeans.

According to my jconsole MBeans window, in the
java.lang.OperatingSystem.OpenFileDescriptorCount attribute, I had over 12K
open file descriptors.  (12529 appears to be the last value I have been able
to get.)

That tells me that somewhere in the delta between Netbeans 12.1 (where I NEVER
saw this problem) and Netbeans 12.2 (where I am playing Russian roulette with
my productivity by using it at work) someone is not closing a file after using
it and assuming that the finalizer will close it for them.

That would be a very bad assumption, independent of the OS.

As it so happens, my work machine's Netbeans 12.2 instance just locked up
while I was writing this.

Said work machine is running macOS 11.2.2 and Netbeans is running OpenJDK 64-
bit Server VM version 15+36-1562.

(Actually, my work machine locked up twice while writing this on my non-work
machine [which is not, and never will be, a Mac].)

--
Mark A. Flacy
mfl...@verizon.net