If I understand correctly, background scanning of projects is to make sure
that your latest changes to a class or interface don't break your whole
project.

For example, you delete something from an abstract class that is required
by an interface. NetBeans will scan the project and then tell you that some
of the subclasses of the abstract class now have compilation errors.

On my poor old Gateway computer (NetBeans 8.2 under Windows 8.2), checking
for external changes became such a pain in the neck I disabled it. But
background scanning of projects still worked pretty well, aside from the
occasional glitch.

As for Pause I/O Checks, I don't know.

Al

--