Hi,

I thought I’d try to explore how to make a Netbeans Platform Application using
Maven.

Normally, I use the Ant based version because I love the way the dependency
management for the Netbeans libs are handled with the nice GUI
and things just “seem to work”. And I like the search feature if I don’t know
which module a class is in, typically after a few keyword tries it finds
the correct package/module.

The only thing I wish is that Ant had an easy way to work like Maven in terms
of handling dependency management for external 3rd party libraries.
I think there is Ivy for Ant but I don’t know much about it or if it would help
when creating Wrapper Libraries.

Anyway, I’m finding the Maven approach to be very difficult to manage
libraries, in terms of trying to find which modules I need to add to my pom.xml.

With the Ant version we get the nice GUI for choosing which clusters/modules to
include and it figures out the netbeans module dependencies, etc.

When trying to use the ‘User Utilities’ support as mentioned in this article:
https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/open-file-dialog-in-the-netbeans-platform
<https://blogs.oracle.com/geertjan/open-file-dialog-in-the-netbeans-platform>

When I add these dependencies to my pom.xml
<dependency>
            <groupId>org.netbeans.modules</groupId>
            <artifactId>org-netbeans-modules-utilities</artifactId>
            <version>${netbeans.version}</version>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
            <groupId>org.netbeans.modules</groupId>
            <artifactId>org-netbeans-modules-utilities-project</artifactId>
            <version>${netbeans.version}</version>
        </dependency>

I’m getting the following error:
Failed to execute goal
org.apache.netbeans.utilities:nbm-maven-plugin:4.3:manifest (default-manifest)
on project SomeNBApplication-ZIPSupport: Module has friend dependency on
org.netbeans.modules.utilities but is not listed as a friend. -> [Help 1]

I see in the article it even mentions the `friend` issue, but not how to fix it
in a Maven based approach only the Ant way.

Is it possible to handle these situations? If so, how?

Is there a list somewhere of netbeans modules/clusters and which Maven
artifacts they relate to for easy reference?

Thanks,
- Tim