Hi Eric,
Thanks for the suggestion but I don’t think that’s the case.  Eventually
creating a project with this exact same combination worked (but, again, I
don’t know what changes - removing an old ~/.netbeans/ or creating a
different project of same name elsewhere - caused it to work again).

I love that I’m up and running again, but hate that I haven’t got a clue
what fixed things :-(  Next time, I will know how to set Netbeans to the
max logging level to hopefully get better insight.

Best,
Tom