Hi Phil,

Netbeans will run with either java version, as it is platform-agnostic, as
long as there is a jdk available for the platform.
The UI is written using Swing and AWT, which are both provided by the
standard jdk.
Remember the phrase compile once, run everywhere.

My best experience is with installing from the binary zip files.
This implies that you could also choose version NetBeans 12.5 and above.

--
Pieter Van den Hombergh.
No software documentation is complete with out it's source code.