For what it's worth, I don't think I have ever experienced that, but it
could be that it has happened to me but I just failed to notice. What's
been happening to me more often is a general slow-down with no completion
popup at all. NetBeans is not as heavy as IntelliJ, but sometimes I do have
to be careful not to overtax the system...

Al