Speaking only for myself, I find VS Code to be an extremely frustrating
program. It has a lot of abilities, but it's confusing. The other day I
needed to make a change uniformly to about 200 HTML files including a
newline in the replacement text. It was easy enough to bring up the boxes
for the text to find and the text to replace it with, but then I just
couldn't figure out how to tell VS Code to execute the replacement. I
almost looked it up on the Web. I went back, and realized it was a little
button I had to click on.

Also, it's a resource hog. Try carrying out a Zoom meeting with VS Code
running. But apparently VS Code with Salesforce extensions is the only way
available to write Salesforce Lightning Web Components. I felt like I
needed a Bat-computer to handle VS Code.

For Java, we have three great choices, of which I like NetBeans the best.
And if those weren't available for some reason, I'd rather use Notepad and
the command line than VS Code.

Al