I've noticed that the subversion CLI client option is very limited in it's
functionality for cross branch diffs and even the type of merge that can be
done.  I installed a JavaHL client on my computer (Ubuntu and Windows) and
set NetBeans to use it and I have full functionality with cross branch
diffs and complex merges.  SvnKit doesn't work at all any more due to
incompatible licensing with the Apache license.