I forgot to mention that deleting the Netbeans Cache did not help. What does work sometimes (but not all of the time!) is when I create a new subproject in a different subdirectory. However, when I rename that to the name of the problematic subproject, then things break again.

So it seems that some names of problematic subprojects are somehow cached somewhere and probably in a corrupted way. What do I need to delete here to get back the ability to use any name I want for my subproject?

These are not especially weird names, for example app-api or app-api2 work, but app-ui or app-gui don't. There must be some corrupted files.

Kind regards,

Ulrich