Hi Chris,

A quick question:

1. Is your file encoding UTF-8?

At least for NetBeans 15, the configuration file is located in wherever you installed NetBeans\etc. It's called netbeans.conf.

In my netbeans.conf, I've added -J-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 to netbeans_default_options.

I haven't tried this with NetBeans 16 yet (upgrade today most likely), but several people at $work have used prior versions of NetBeans and have added characters with diacritics.

Using the Character Map and copying the result into a text file worked on NetBeans 15. An acute accent e showed up in a text file, was saved, opened, and the diacritic was displayed properly.

The character showed up properly in other UTF-8 aware editors.

. . . just my two cents
/mde/