Frank,

That's a very old version of the maven-compiler-plugin.

From version 3.6 of the compiler plugin, you can use the maven.compiler.release property, which sets the JDK >=9 --release option.

So the configuration would look something like this:

<properties>
        <maven.compiler.release>11</maven.compiler.release>
</properties>

<build>
        <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <version>3.10.1</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <release>${maven.compiler.release}</release>
                        <!-- other configuration arguments -->
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
        </plugins>