Peter,

this was more or less the idea. Branching in Git, so you have a Main branch and a development branch which you can test, compile and run. What remains is the inconvenience you described with checking out if you qant to switch between the versions.

But maybe (I did not try or test) you can create two projects in Netbeans coming from the same Git repository. One from the main branch, one from the development branch. If this works, you would have more or less what you want.