Hi Tom.

Refactoring is simply moving stuff around in your source code without
making any (major) change to the functionality of your program.

You may want to do this when for instance you are preparing to implement a
functional enhancement that makes use of a particular design pattern, and
your source code cannot implement the functional enhancement in its current
state.

HTH.

  Owen.