On 23/12/03 3:51 PM, Laszlo Kishalmi wrote:
Well, unfortunately gradle init only supports java version specification since Gradle 8.5

NB20 is bundled with Gradle 8.4.

The gradle 8.4 release notes say

   "Java 21 is now supported"

if that matters.

There is a bit workaround needed to run Java 21 projects with Gradle.

I can run the project tests with no workaround.

Also, I manually set the gradle version for the project to 8.5

   ./gradlew wrapper --gradle-version 8.5

The problem icon is still there and the message says

   "Java version: 21 ... not supported by Gradle 8.5"

Both 8.4 and 8.5 claim to support JDK-21. This all makes no sense.

I think (I don't remember) that I could run the project tests when it was gradle 8.4 as well with no workaround.

This all makes me wonder if there's something hardcoded in NetBeans about JDK-21 and gradle.

-ernie

Set the Java Runtime version for Gradle in Tools > Options > Java > Gradle to Java 20 or below.

From there you can use any Java version in your Gradle projects, whatever that Gradle version support.

Gradle 8.4 does support Java 21 using Java Toolchain, should work.

java {
    toolchain {
        languageVersion = JavaLanguageVersion.of(21)
    }
}