Aside from Laszlo's suggestion to use Java 17, since you seem to be in a position to choose your Gradle version, I suggest trying Gradle 8.5, which has better support for *running* on Java 21. Gradle 8.4 can build a Java 21 project, but must itself run on Java <21. With Gradle 8.5 you can do both, which simplifies things (and it also supports Java 17, etc.).

Regarding the migration from older Gradle, Eric's suggestion to look at the Gradle docs is a good one. Pay attention to the (sometimes a little cryptic) Gradle build warnings and you'll become informed. Recent versions of Gradle are keen to ensure strong task input/output declaration. Also I recommend using the newer task definition style (e.g. tasks.register('myCopyTask', Copy) {...}) and updating references for buildDirectory/libsDirectory/etc. which have been updated and will likely show warnings.

Stan